Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Sense of Place

Yesterday on Friday, January 6, 2012, I took my 1st Semester 2nd Hour to hear Michael Wallis speak about Oklahoma.  It was part of a program called Tulsa Town Hall, and he was outstanding.  Wallis said the most important thing about history is the idea of "a sense of place."  Here is a little of what he said:

Oklahoma has a sense of place.  A sense of belonging and being that is an essential part of life.  And it is something that is tied directly to an understanding and appericiation of history.

He then went on to give an example of the Creek Tribe.  When they were forced to move to this land which at the time was called Indian Territory from their ancestoral land of Alabama.  They brought with them the embers and ash of the council fire.  When they got to what is now Tulsa, they used those embers and ash to make their new council fire, and the chief of the tribe said we are home.  Tulsa was born that day!

I had never heard history explained like that - and it made sense.  I want to include this idea of history in my teaching.  My place is Tulsa and Paris.  A lot of people will say how much they hate Tulsa, and they can't wait to move.  That always makes me a little sad, and now I know why.  Tulsa has a sense of place for me - it is home.  I'm connected to it.  Then Paris, France has a sense of place for me.  People always ask, "What is your favorite thing to do?"  Honestly nothing.  Just being there makes me happy.  I'm connected to it.

Where is your sense of place?  Where is your home?

Here is Tulsa World's Article about the Lecture: Michael Wallis Article


Michael Wallis was the voice of Sheriff in Disney's Cars.  He has written a book about Route 66, and was hired as a historian and fact checker for the film.  Then they realized he has a great voice, and asked him to be the voice of Sheriff.



Tulsa skyline.  Everytime I see this - my heart smiles because I know I'm home.



Me in Paris along the Seine.  Not the best picture of me, but I love where I am.  And I feel so blessed that I have been to Paris 10 times.



Me with my 1st semester 2nd hour.  This was one of the best classes I have ever had.  Love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis