home contact class work btw photos

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Do It For The "S's"

Right now we are discussing the Constitution in US Government.  I love this topic because it isn't some old document from the past.  The Constitution is a Living Document that impacts our lives as Americans!  And I think it is really important to know what the Constitution says.  As Angelina Jolie says and has tattooed on her neck, "know your rights!"  Today in class we got into this really neat discussion about rights, and who is entitled to them.  I love that word "entitled."  Americans think they are entitled to everything, but that is a different topic!

Gay marriage came up, and the students were so opinionated!  I loved hearing their thoughts and ideas.  That was perfect because I showed two clips that I'm going to share with you!  They are both about Harvey Milk - the first openly gay man to run for public office in the 1970s.  Milk was so brave, kind, and courageous.  I said today I'm glad we have "Harvey Milks" out there fighting for every one's rights.

I think with Gay Marriage it is not an ethical debate.  America is denying her citizens rights!  If we deny one group rights - what says the group you are part of is protected?  If it can happen to one, it can happen to many.  Here is a clip from the movie.  I love what he says about the Declaration of Independence.  It is so true!


No matter how hard you try you can never erase those words from the Declaration, "ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL..." That is what America is - LOVE IT or LEAVE IT!!!



Gotta give them hope, or they will give up!  It is about the "S's."  Gays, Blacks, Asians, Seniors, Mexicans, and the list can go on.  One student compared him to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. fighting for rights.  I loved that comparison!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis