Saturday, November 24, 2012

History Lessons From Your Family

 
These are my beautiful Grandparents who just celebrated their 62nd Wedding Anniversary.  They came to Tulsa and spent all of Thanksgiving with us.  Last night we had a family celebration for them.  Sometimes I cannot believe it!  62 years of marriage  - I cannot imagine!  What a life they have spent together!  At one point in the evening the whole family was in the living room, and Grandma and Grandpa told us stories about being married in the early 1950s.  I woke up this morning and wanted to make this a post.  You can learn so much about history from your family!
 
They lived through it, and they will give you a different perspective than the history books!  Plus your family like your grandparents especially want to tell you their stories.  They want to talk with you and share!  They will love you to ask a question which I will promise turn into more questions and a long conversation!
 
Years from now you will treasure your conversations with your grandparents!  I am 30 years old, and both sets of my grandparents are alive!  I know I am so lucky, and my time with them is precious!  When I am an old woman I will treasure last night so much!  I'm actually beginning to cry!
 
Last night my Grandfather told us his war stories from the Korean War in the early 1950s.  As he talked I cannot imagine going to war!  I told my grandpa he is so brave!  Of course he became very embarrassed, and just said he did what he had to do.  After telling us a few intense stories, he made us laugh by telling us stories of funny things they would do there to take their mind off the fact they were in War.  Grandma then told us what it was like at home taking care of their one month old baby girl.  Then we went to their childhood.  They both grew up in Oklahoma during the 1930s and Great Depression. So last night I got a very personal description of the Korean War and Great Depression, and learned about my family!  It was a perfect night!
 
So GO TALK to your family, and learn your family's history!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis