Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Know your Family's History

All four of my Grandparents and me in May 2013
 
My Grandmothers, my Mother, and me in May 2013
 
My sister graduated from college in early May, and all four grandparents came!  I know I am so blessed to have all four grandparents alive at the age of 31.  I don't know what will happen when I lose the first one.  I don't want to even think about it! 
 
I just want to encourage everyone to know their grandparents and family history.  Grandparents are a real jewel!  I love my grandparents so much!  Why it took becoming an adult, but I call them at least once a month just to say hi.  See how things are going, and they love it!  They want to talk to you! 
 
As a history teacher I also encourage you to talk to your grandparents about historical events that have happened in their lifetime.  They know they've lived it!  My grandparents were children during the Great Depression, and were teenagers during WWII.  I remember the first time I saw my grandmother cry was talking about the JFK assassination.  It was so real to her, and emotional she was crying 50 years later. 
 
Grandparents are awesome!  My grandfather just turned 85, and I asked him what is the secret to a long life?  Here is what he said:
- Don't drink
-Don't smoke
-Have a sense of humor
-Find what you are passionate about!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis