Sunday, November 17, 2013

Indian Removal Poems

 
This last week we concluded the Trail of Tears and Indian Removal.  This subject is very personal to me.  My family was on the Trail of Tears.  We actually have the journal that was kept on the Trail of Tears still in the family.I know being in Oklahoma a lot of my students might also have a family connection to the Trail of Tears.  I want them to know what happened there, so we can prevent it from happening ever again!
 
I had my students write a poem about Indian Removal.  I was blown away!  They got the lesson!  As I read them this weekend I wept.  I had to share some with you!
 
Poem 1
The Trail of Tears hurts my heart
Just thinking about all the Indians that lost their lives
Sometimes I ask why?
I'm sure they asked themselves why>
Why us?
Why are we the ones that have to leave?
Why are we the ones with no home?
Why are we the ones that have to die?
Why me? Why us?
The Trail of Tears hurts my heart
 
Poem 2
I wanted stay
They had no right to take me away
Will my family even be ok?
I hear faint cries
When people have to say their goodbyes
But still I walk alone
With no one to hold
I feel so frail
Walking down this trail
But to where?
 
 
Poem 3
My prayers go out to
the loved ones,
Of the people
Who died on that tragic day
The time we call today
The Trail of Tears
We will always remember this
And our country should be ashamed
Of all the lives that were lost
On this sorrow filled journey
 
Poem 4
We can try to reconcile,
Try to apologize.
Say, "The past is the past,"
"We've made up for it,"
"Everything has changed."
 
And things have changed.
But the past is alive.
It is alive with pain,
Alive with tears, fear,
Kindness, and blindness.
 
We can try
But the pangs of Indian Removal,
The laws we disregard,
And the ideas we make a priority.
Must give us pause.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis