Saturday, March 1, 2014

"I Need You To See Me"

My favorite assembly at Booker T. is the Black History Assembly.  Every year Dr. Marshall tops himself - it gets better and better.  This year did not disappoint!  The theme was "I need you to see me."  The assembly took a look at different aspects of African American Culture, and then ended with a guest speaker and his reflections.  I loved his perspective!

He looked at why Black History is important.  He stressed how there was 400 years of entrenchment and racism.  Everything told African Americans that you are not worthy.  Then that idea was passed for generations.  And through all that there was great accomplishment!  He took time to show and discuss the great minds that made a difference.

My grandfather is an expert on the buffalo soldiers - the black infantry.  He said why everyone needs to know them is because they are heroes!  They exemplify courage,  bravery, and determination.  Their story is a perspective you never hear!

Then he ended by discussing how we see ourselves.  I loved it!  I believe this!  You have to have a vision for yourself - no matter what you are going to do!  You have to know where you are headed because the decisions you make now will impact your future.  So you need to know where you're headed so you can make the right decision.

He used Martin Luther King Jr. as the example, and mentioned a speech he gave.

 
The speech was called "The Drum Major Instinct". MLK talks about how we all want to be the Drum Major or the big guy, but we have to be willing to put in the work.  He ended his speech by discussing his life and death.  Now what is really strange, and gave me goose bumps is he was assassinated 2 months later.  But here is what he said he wanted said at his funeral - he wants to be remembered for his service and love fcr humanity:
 
"Every now and then I guess we all think realistically (Yes, sir) about that day when we will be victimized with what is life's final common denominator—that something that we call death. We all think about it. And every now and then I think about my own death and I think about my own funeral. And I don't think of it in a morbid sense. And every now and then I ask myself, "What is it that I would want said?" And I leave the word to you this morning.
If any of you are around when I have to meet my day, I don’t want a long funeral. And if you get somebody to deliver the eulogy, tell them not to talk too long. (Yes) And every now and then I wonder what I want them to say. Tell them not to mention that I have a Nobel Peace Prize—that isn’t important. Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards—that’s not important. Tell them not to mention where I went to school. (Yes)
I'd like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others. (Yes)
I'd like for somebody to say that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to love somebody.
I want you to say that day that I tried to be right on the war question. (Amen)
I want you to be able to say that day that I did try to feed the hungry. (Yes)
And I want you to be able to say that day that I did try in my life to clothe those who were naked. (Yes)
I want you to say on that day that I did try in my life to visit those who were in prison. (Lord)
I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity. (Yes)
Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice. (Amen) Say that I was a drum major for peace. (Yes) I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter. (Yes) I won't have any money to leave behind. I won't have the fine and luxurious things of life to leave behind. But I just want to leave a committed life behind. (Amen) And that's all I want to say.
If I can help somebody as I pass along,
If I can cheer somebody with a word or song,
If I can show somebody he's traveling wrong,
Then my living will not be in vain.
If I can do my duty as a Christian ought,
If I can bring salvation to a world once wrought,
If I can spread the message as the master taught,
Then my living will not be in vain.
Yes, Jesus, I want to be on your right or your left side, (Yes) not for any selfish reason. I want to be on your right or your left side, not in terms of some political kingdom or ambition. But I just want to be there in love and in justice and in truth and in commitment to others, so that we can make of this old world a new world."

Here is the whole speech given by MLK himself:

We ended by singing this together as a school:
 
[Chorus: x2] I need you
You need me
We're all a part of God's body
Stand with me
Agree with me
We're all a part of God's body
It is his will that every need be supplied
You are important to me
I need you to survive 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis