Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Meaning of U.S. Citizenship

 
I like to start off U.S. Government with Citizenship.  To me that is what U.S. Government is all about - citizenship.  I think it is important to know to be good citizens.  So we talked about the benefits and responsibilities of being a citizen.  I love to show this video of a woman who became a U.S. Citizen.  So many become a citizen and have to do so much, and Americans just get it.  I also like to have the kids take the first 20 questions of the U.S. Citizenship test.  The results always surprise me!  Here is the video
 
 
Here is the Oath of Citizenship.  What people say to make it official:
 
"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."
 
To sum this up I had my students write a poem or essay of what U.S. Citizenship means to them.  One poem blew me away - so I asked her if I could share her poem on my blog, and giver her credit.  She said yes - so here is her beautiful poem:
 
Citizen
by Kambri Davison
 
I am a citizen
of the United States of America
I was born in the United States
I am proud to be a citizen
It is a FREE COUNTRY!
I am a member of this country
As an American I can make my own decisions
Freedom is not free but the United States is
the best place to be!
Being a citizen of the United States of
America is one of the highest held offices
The United States of America
The state of being vested with rights,
privelieges, and duties of a citizen
America is diverse
Every citizen brings something different
I have pride
A general sense of nationalism
I am trustworthy
We have so much freedom and so many of our
nations rules are based on the honor system
I am an American
I love the United States of America
We are one Nation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis