Monday, September 1, 2014

Why I Became A Teacher?

My Mom and I at the education rally at the Capitol in March 2014
 
I come from a family of teachers!  My grandfather was a History Professor at OSU.  I truly believe that influenced me to be a History teacher.  Since I was a little girl I have always talked to my grandpa about historical events.  And we still do!  I love talking politics with him!
 
My Mom is an early childhood teacher, and my Sister is an Art Elementary teacher.  Teaching runs in the family!  I decided to be a high school history teacher when I was in 9th grade.  I wanted history to come alive for students.  I hope I am doing that!  Plus I had some teachers in high school, and would say to myself, "if they can be a teacher - so can I!"
 
So I made that my goal to work towards.  I decided to go to Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Oklahoma because they are known for being a good teaching school.  I loved college, and when I graduated I was so excited to start teaching!
 
My first hour October 2013 - Outrageous Orange and Black Day Homecoming
 
Two days before school started August 2005 I got hired at BTW!  It has changed my life!  I have my dream job, and I am so thankful everyday!  I pinch myself!  I never dread coming to work!  I cannot believe it has been 10 years!  I look forward to 10 more!
 
What I want my students to do is respect History.  They do not have to love it.  I don't love every subject, but history is one to respect!  I feel like most people see history as facts and dates, but history is more than that!  I will never make my students memorize a date because of that!  The only people who need to know dates are historians, and teachers.
 
History is a story!  It is a story of who we are, where we've been, and where we are going.  And we need to understand that story.  It has taken blood, sweat, and tears to get where we are today.  We need to respect that story!
 
My amazing second hour - Fall 2011!
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis