home contact class work btw photos

Monday, June 25, 2012

How Do You Tell?

The Sullivan Brothers

A powerful song is Sullivan by Caroline Spine.  Everytime I listen to this song I get goose bumps!  It is about the Sullivan Brothers during WWII who all joined the military, and were placed in the South Pacific on the same ship.  They were all killed, and what eats me up is the thought of how the mother dealt with this.  I can't imagine having kids in war.  Knowing they are in harms way, and never knowing fully if they are safe.  But this Mom had all 5 of her sons, and then one day gets a telegram that they were all killed!  This song captures the emotion and heart of this situation.

My favorite line is, "...so Uncle Sam will send you a telegram - so he doesn't have to tell you over the phone..."  That line speaks to me, and always makes me think.  I really think now after this song that if a family has a loved one die in the military the President should call the family.  That man or woman made the ultimate sacrifice and they deserve more than a telegram.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis