home contact class work btw photos

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Student Trips to Europe

I love to travel!  There is something about seeing History up close and personal that makes it even more special.  I decided when I became a teacher I would take students to Europe - so they could have that experience of seeing History and experiencing History.  My very first trip with students I had an "A Ha" moment.  One of the girls who came loved the artist Degas and his ballerinas.  The prints covered her bedroom walls.  One day in Paris, France we went to the Muse d'Orsay and saw the real thing!  When the student saw them - she began crying. It wasn't a print. You could see every paint stroke and clump of paint.  It was so inspiring to watch her, and made that trip worth it!  I have taken 3 trips to Europe with High School students, and I hope there are many more to come! 


The teacher who came with me, and she is one of my best friends.  Here we are in front of Notre Dame de Paris.  We had just arrived in Paris!



The girls were wanting to take a "jumping" picture, and this is what I caught on my camera.  I was so amazed, and she is a dancer.  I could never do this!  This was our afternoon to visit the Eiffel Tower!



Here is me in Rome!  The kids loved Rome!



This was from my first trip to Europe.  There is a legend that you touch this with your feet - you will come back to Paris.  So we all touched it with our feet and took a photo!



This is the most proud of picture I have taken in Europe.  This is the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles.  A lot of history happened in this room.  The American Revolution and World War 2 ended in this room.  They signed the Peace Treaties in this room.  Usually there are literally thousands of people in this room when you visit - it's amazing I got this shot with no one in the room.  We had a free day in Paris, and we made the students wake up bright and early so we could get to Versailles early.  We got there 30 minutes before they opened, and were the first people there.  It was magical we had the palace all to ourselves.  When we walked into the Hall of Mirrors - I immediately noticed that we were the only people.  I made the announcement to stand behind me because I wanted to get this shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis