home contact class work btw photos

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Looking For Our Roots

Today I was watching Jon Stewart, and was touched by his guest.  His guest was the head of Westminster Abbey in London.  He talked about what the Abbey means to the world.  What he said resonated so much.  It described how I feel about going to historical places. 

He said Americans go to the Abbey to look for their roots.  The Abbey is just not a holder of the English Civilization for Great Britain, but the whole English Speaking World.  As the head of the Abbey he said the best part is that he gets to live there.  The house he lives in is from the 13th Century.  Jon Stewart said our country's history is 240 years old - so that would make the Abbey our great, great, great, great, great grandfather.  I cannot imagine that much history!  America is so young compared to other places. 

The other impressive thing is everyone who is buried in the Abbey to Charles Dickens to Charles Darwin.  He talked about the inspiration that can come from walking among them.  All these great minds together!  I have been to the Abbey, and I will say it is inspirational to be in that space among that history!  It is crazy to believe that these famous people are buried there!  To think about all that they have done in their life time!

So if you get a chance to go to a historical place - go!  This is what makes history come alive and exciting!  Nothing beats going to the real place, and seeing it first hand.  I have been to Europe ten times, and every time I go to the Place de la Concorde in Paris I cannot help but think about the French Revolution.  It is where thousands were beheaded, or going to Rome and seeing where gladdiators fougt and died for entertainment.  I love history, and seeing it! 

One of the most amazing places I have been to is the beaches of Normandy.  It is such a sad place, and no one talks!  I don't think I could if I tried.  The day I went it was a beautiful sunshining day, but June 6, 1944 was a much different day.  I can't imagine storming those beaches under heavy gun fire.  When the guns went silent the beaches were red with blood.  In my head I kept saying thank you to all those men who sacrificed their lives that day.

That is why history is important!  It took blood, sweat, and tears to be where we are today!  We need to respect it and say thank you!

The Abbey


Place de la Concorde


Rome


Beaches of Normandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis