home contact class work btw photos

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Power of One


One of my favorite themes in History is The Power of One.  My grandfather is a Holocaust Historian and told me about this catholic priest in Germany during the Holocaust.  The Nazis were going to kill a young Jewish father who had small children.  This priest couldn't bear that so he did the most compassionate and selfless thing anyone could do.  He offered himself instead.  The Nazis looked at him like he was crazy, but said ok.  So instead of killing the young Jewish father they killed the priest.  When I heard this story I got goose bumps, and got teary eyed.  I am blown away by his story.  After the war he became a Saint in the Catholic Church - Saint Maximilian Kolbe.  This is his icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis